Hawaii Forest & Trail - Endangered Native Habitats Adventure
This tour takes you from one natural extreme to the other, in the comfort of a four-wheel drive vehicle. You'll start out in the cool, dry sub-alpine forests of Mauna Kea volcano, then make your way down slope until you reach the moisture-drenched Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park and its ancient fishpond. Along the way you're likely to encounter a variety of rare and endangered bird species, including the Nene (the state bird) and the Palila, a lovely honeycreeper with a golden-yellow head. In addition, you'll see a myriad of other species, from native varieties to exotic passerines, migrants, vagrants, and game birds. It's a bird-lovers paradise!
Come along as we explore two rare habitats: the cloudmist kipuka rainforest on Mauna Loa and the sub-alpine dry forest of Puu Laau on Mauna Kea.
Here's what all you'll get on this Big Island Eco Tour:
- Bird watching in native, pristine rainforest
- Rare and endangered Hawaiian birds
- Bird watching in a Hawaiian dry land forest and a mile's walk along a beach.
- breakfast of fresh island fruit
- banana breads and pound cakes
- Pure Kona coffee
- Hot chocolate
- Lunch of deli-style sandwich, chips, chocolate-macadamia nut cookie, sodas and juices
- Continental breakfast with baked goods, fresh local fruits, 100% Kona coffee, tea and hot chocolate
- Deli-style lunch with assorted soft drinks, juices and bottled water
- Walking sticks, binoculars, day packs, warm wear and rain ponchos
Big Island Forests
- Where and When:
- Tour departs at 6:30 am and returns at approx. 4:00 pm.
Departs from Hawaii Forest & Trail Headquarters, 73-5593A Olowalu St., Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 View Map
- Participants must be at least 8 years old.
Participants must be able to hike on uneven or rocky terrain.
We sometimes encounter cool, wet, or muddy conditions.
This is a moderate to strenuous hike.
- Special Notes:
- Operation Days:
- 11-12 hours round-trip from Headquarters
- Hawaii Forest and Trail
- Big Island
- Walking sticks, binoculars, day packs, warm wear and rain ponchos are provided.