Hawaii Forest & Trail - Mauna Kea Summit Hawaii Observatory Tour
Please note: Due to the popularity of this tour, please call us at 866-482-9775 to check availability if booking within the next month. Tour participants must be at least 16 years old to go to the summit. Please call us at 866-482-9775 if you still wish to include a guest younger than 16 on the tour.
On Mauna Kea Observatory Tours experience a sensational sunset from 13,796 feet above sea level at the Summit of Mauna Kea. Next you will stargaze at the 9,200 ft level at the Onizuka Center for International Astronomy. The Summit of Mauna Kea has the world's largest and most sophisticated telescopes. It is also famous for its snow-capped mountaintops during the winter months.
Most visitors are humbled on Mauna Kea Summit Tours. It is easy to understand once you see the giant Kilauea caldera and smell the sulfur in the air. It is amazing to think that a Big Island rainforest is right next to Hawaii Volcano National Park.
- Dinner choice of one of the following:
Chicken (gluten free) - served with brown rice, carrot, zucchini, bok
choy, yellow squash, with a garlic & white wine sauce, and a
caramelized pineapple garnish (sauce made with soy sauce, sugar, ginger,
garlic and sesame oil)
- Kalbi Beef Short Ribs (gluten free) -
served with brown rice, carrot, zucchini, bok choy, yellow squash, with a
garlic & white wine sauce, and a caramelized pineapple garnish
(sauce made with soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar, ginger and garlic)
Thai Curry (gluten & dairy free, vegetarian, & vegan) - served
with brown rice, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, portobello
mushroom, sugar snap peas, green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, onion,
bok choy (sauce made with lemongrass, ginger, garlic, coconut milk,
coriander, paprika, tomato puree, thai curry paste, cumin and soy sauce)
is prepared in a facility with nuts, oils & other potential
allergens; please be aware cross contamination may occur during
preparation and inquire about any allergy concerns before booking)
- Assorted teas
- Hot chocolate and brownies served for dessert
- Warm hooded parkas and gloves are provided
Amazing Sunset Views
Big Island Summit Adventure
Mauna Kea Summit Tour
Visit Mauna Kea Summit
- Where and When:
- Afternoon departure, between 1:30 pm and 3 pm. The exact departure time depends on the season and will be specified on your voucher.
Tour departs from the following locations:
Hawaii Forest & Trail Headquarters, 73-5593A Olowalu St., Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 View Map
Please meet us across the street from Home Depot at our Kona Headquarters. This is a departure point for many Hawaii Forest & Trail Tours. This location also has a 900 sq. ft. retail store that includes outdoor gear and apparel, books, maps, and gift items.
Queen's Marketplace, 69-201 Waikoloa Beach Dr, Waikoloa, HI 96738 (near Charlie's Thai Cuisine) View Map
The backside of this popular shopping area serves as a pickup location for many Hawaii Forest & Trail Tours. Look for Charlie's Thai Cuisine, and HF&T will be at the curb!
If you're staying on the Hilo side of the island and would like to still take this tour you can meet the tour bus before it goes up Mauna Kea:
Meet Hawaii Forest & Trail across from the Mauna Kea Access Road located on Highway 200. Please park in the parking are labeled Pu'u Huluhulu near Mile Marker 28. View Map
- Guests must be 16 and older to go the summit part of this tour. Please call us at 866-482-9775 if you still wish to include a guest younger than 16 on the tour.
They can go but any guest younger than 16 and an adult chaperone must stay behind and wait for the tour to get back from the summit which can take about 2 hours or a little longer.
- Mauna Kea summit tours are not recommended for those with respiratory, circulatory or heart conditions (No Pacemakers), pregnant women and those who have conditions not conducive to high altitude or physical activity.
Children under 16 are not permitted on this tour due to altitude.
The tour is also not recommended for people who have been scuba diving in the past 24 hours.
Participants will be required to sign a waiver of liability.
Participants should be able to hike on rocky or uneven terrain.
- Special Notes:
- Be prepared to encounter muddy, wet or cool conditions. The average mean temperature at the summit is freezing.
- Operation Days:
- Approx. 7-8 hours roundtrip
- Hawaii Forest and Trail
- Big Island
- Max. of 14 guests per tour
- Hooded parkas and warm gloves are provided. We utilize an 11 Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope for stargazing.