Hawaii Forest & Trail - Hakalau Forest Reserve Exclusive
A bird-lovers dream tour. Hakalau means many perches and Hakalau forest (which is the first National Wildlife Refuge in the country established for birds) is a diverse and dynamic natural bird habitat. The Pua Akala tract you will access on this tour is not open to the general public (indeed, only 18 tours per year are permitted, and are limited to ten guests), and is a wonderful example of conservation done right. Target species include Akepa, Akiapolaau, Hawaii Creeper, Iiwi, and many, many more.
Ride along in comfort in brand new, 9 passenger Mercedes Sprinter vans with leather captain seats and usb ports.
- Birdwatching in the Hakalau forest led by one of their most
experienced bird guides – a critical bird habitat that is home to some
of the rarest plant and animal species on earth
- Special permit to access the Pua Akala tract is included
- Travel in comfort in brand new Mercedes Sprinters that seat 9 passengers with leather captains chairs and usb ports.
- Continental breakfast including fresh local fruits, baked goods, 100% Kona coffee, tea and hot chocolate
- Deli-style lunch with assorted soft drinks, juices and bottled water
- Walking sticks, binoculars, day packs and rain ponchos are provided
Lunch Menu: Choice of Turkey, Ham, Tuna OR Garden Fresh Veggie Sandwich, Sweet Potato Chips and Dessert.
Great Photo Opportunities
- Where and When:
- Departure time usually at 6:30 am. Sometimes the departure time is slightly different based on the restricted-access permits gained for the tour. Exact time for your tour will be emailed to you.
Departs from Hawaii Forest & Trail Headquarters
73-5593A Olowalu St.
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 (View Map)
- All Guest Must:
- Provide Proof of a negative COVID-19 test through the Hawaii Safe Travel Program or proof of 14 day quarantine (airline generated flight itinerary). Test results must be presented upon check-in.
- Complete a Health Questionnaire and temperature check with contactless infrared thermometer completed prior to participation.
- Wear a face mask at all times in the vehicle and wherever social distancing is not possible.
Please bring your own water bottle for use on tour. Water bottles are available for purchase at Hawaii Forest and Trail and a jug will be available for refills.
- Guests should be able to hike on uneven or rocky terrain. We sometimes encounter cool, wet, or muddy conditions. Other tour restrictions may apply. Must be 8+ years old.
- Special Notes:
- Operation Days:
- Various Days.
- Approx. 11-12 hours roundtrip
- Hawaii Forest and Trail
- Big Island
- Walking sticks, binoculars, day packs and rain ponchos are provided.