Hike Maui - Haleakala Crater 4 Mile Hike
Hike through 3 very different environments on this moderate four-mile hike. This hike is a good Crater sampler. Experience Haleakala's majesty, vastness and grandeur. The crater's energy is intense and ethereal, and it's absolutely silent. Views stretch for more than a hundred miles in all directions. Hike at 8,000 ft on a lava rock trail lined with rare endemic plant species. Hike 2 more miles where huge cinder cones dominate the expansive, desert-like scenery (10,000-ft summit) . Adventure through a short loop trail at 7,000 ft through a cloud forest full of unusual native Hawaiian birds, Hosmer Grove.
Hike Maui Haleakala Crater 4 Mile Hike includes lunch.
Kahului Park & Ride: (Highway 380 / Highway 350) Dairy Road & Pu`unene Avenue
Directions From Lahaina side:South on Highway 30. Turn rt at Highway 380. Go five on Highway 380. Look on the left side for Park & Ride. Make a left turn into the parking lot. If you get to the traffic light with large gray and blue church on right, you’ve gone 100 yds too far. Look for a green Hike Maui van.
Directions From Kihei-Wailea-Makena side: North on Pi’ilani Highway (Highway 31). Turn right onto Mokulele Highway (Highway 311) toward Kahului. Follow Mokulele Hwy for 10-12 minutes. Turn left onto Highway 380. (There’s a large blue/gray church on your right.) Go 200 yds and turn right into a commuter parking lot. There is a small parking sign (green letters) saying Park & Ride. Look for a green Hike Maui van.
- Hike into both sides of Haleakala
- Enjoy the crater’s different environments
- 2-mile hike at the 10,000-foot summit features views of huge cinder cones and a desert-like scenery
- 2-mile hike at 8,000-foot elevation along a lava trail features views of rare native plant species
- On a clear day it seems you can see forever
Sandwich Choices: Veggie, Peanut Butter & Jelly, Ham or Turkey
- Where and When:
- Includes hotel pick-up around 8:30 am or meet at 9:30 am at Kahului Park & Ride (View Map). The Park & Ride meeting location is along a large concrete wall with a single row of parking facing Hwy 380 west of Hwy 311.
Directions from Wailea / Makena / Kihei (the south side of the island): From Hwy 31 (Piilani Hwy) head north. Follow airport signs to Kahului, bearing right onto Hwy 311. After 10 minutes, look for a big church (King's Cathedral), then move into left lane. Turn left onto Hwy 380 (Kuihelani Hwy). Go 200 yards and turn right into Park & Ride commuter lot. Park your car against a concrete block wall.
Directions from Lahaina / Kaanapali / Kapalua (the west side of the island): Head south on Hwy 30 as if you're going to Kahului Airport. Turn right onto Hwy 380. Five miles down 380 there's a concrete block wall on the left. Turn across highway into Park & Ride commuter lot against that wall.
- Parties of 7+ will be accessed a $150.00 gratuity at the time of reservation.
- Participants must be at least 8 years old.
All participants must wear closed-toed shoes.
- Special Notes:
- Please wear shorts and shirt for hiking, swimsuit under clothes for swimming. Wear athletic shoes. Please bring a towel & sunscreen.
We provide day packs, rain wear, mosquito repellant, bottled water, first aid, fresh island fruit, sandwiches (veggie garden burger, peanut butter & jam, turkey)
- Operation Days:
- 7 hours
- Hike Maui
- Tour might be canceled if fewer than 4 guests have signed up for the tour on any given day.