Outfitters Kauai - South Shore Sea Kayak Tour
This Kauai kayaking tour is currently unavailable for booking on our site. Please visit our Kauai kayaking tours page for
other available tours.
Available mid-September thru mid-May on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Join us on an 8 mile kayak tour as we take you along Kauai's scenic south shore from Poipu to Port Allen. This segment of the coastline typically becomes somewhat rough seas by late morning. It holds some of Kauai's most secluded beaches and bays. We will make surf landings on 3 seldom-seen beaches during our day together!
The adventure begins launching from Kukui'ula Small Boat Harbor. First we pass the famous Spouting Horn, a remarkable salt-water blowhole. After about 45 minutes, we will surf our kayaks up on the beach at Lawa'i Kai, the site of Queen Emma's Summer Home. Due to the early start you may be ready for a pick-me-up - your guide will provide a jug of hot coffee and bag of muffins for you to enjoy as you stroll the beach in the golden morning light.
We continue downwind, past the white sand beaches, barrier reefs, and volcanic craters of Palama's Point. As we paddle downwind, look for interesting marine life, such as spinner dolphin and honu, or sea turtles, both common in this area. During the months of November - April, we run the chance of getting a glimpse of humpback whales.
After 7 miles of paddling, we're ready for lunch. For that, we land at Wahi'awa, a big protected bay to eat, relax and play. Here you can comb the ¼ mile crescent-shaped sandy paradise, snorkel or play in the water.
Around mid-afternoon after another short paddle, our driver will pick us up for our return to the Poipu resort area.
A delicious lunch, cold drinks, snacks, Kauai Coffee and muffins are provided.
- Guided kayak tour along Kauai’s south shore
- Paddle from Poipu to Port Allen
- Spectacular views of remote beaches
- Chance to see a variety of marine life, including turtles, dolphins and humpback whales
Tour inclusions delicious lunch:
- Turkey Watercress Wrap: Smoked Turkey, Watercress, Cream Cheese, Sprouts, Cucumber, Tomato, Onion and Black Olives in a Tortilla OR
- Mediterranean Veggie Wrap: Hummus, Lettuce, Tomato, Kalamata Olives, Cucumber and Feta Cheese in a Tortilla
Lunch comes with a pasta salad and a Chocolate Chip Cookie. Cold drinks are available throughout the day.
- Where and When:
- Check in is at 7:00 am at Outfitters Kauai, 2827A Poipu Rd, Poipu, HI 96756. View Map
Tour ends at approximately 3:00 pm.
- Not recommended for those who get seasick. Moderately strenuous - must be somewhat fit.
- Participants must be at least 12 years old.
Participants must be able to swim and be moderately fit. This is a moderately strenuous open ocean kayak tour.
- Special Notes:
- Please bring/wear Swimwear, shorts, t-shirt, towel, windbreaker/light raincoat, sport sandals/aqua socks, waterproof sunscreen, billed hat with keeper, sun-glasses with keeper, waterproof camera. We have many of these items available for purchase at our Poipu shop. We recommend over-the-counter seasickness medicine that won't cause drowsiness: best taken the night before the tour, as well as the day of the tour.
- Operation Days:
- Tuesday and Thursday
- Approx. 8 hours
- Outfitters Kauai
- Outfitters Kauai use tandem, open-cockpit, or, sit-on-top type, self-bailing kayaks with foot pedal controlled rudders to facilitate safety and ease of operation. You'll be given a lightweight fiberglass paddle with a tether, life vest and dry bag.