Outfitters Kauai - Hidden Valley Falls Kayak & Hike
Take a pleasant downwind kayak and hiking trip on the Hule'ia River.
We begin the adventure paddling our tandem kayaks for about two miles. We will go through the Hule'ia Nat'l Wildlife Refuge, a place for the preservation of endangered Hawaiian water birds. We will paddle past the Alekoko (Menehune) Fishpond, a living archaeological site. Our backdrop is the spectacular Haupu Mountain Range, a dramatic and majestic 2000' shield volcano that looms over the river.
Where the river gets shallow, we will leave our kayaks behind, and set out on a 1.5 mile round trip guided nature walk through a pristine tropical rain forest containing many different communities of bird, plants and aquatic life. The area is steeped in legend, and your guides will tell you exciting stories about the supernatural inhabitants of the valley in days gone by. Hule'ia has been the site of filming for a wide range of major motion pictures, including Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park, and the Lost World. We will stop along the way at swimming holes with rope swings and finally reach our destination - Hidden Valley Falls. Here you will experience a captivating series of pool-drop waterfalls cascading over black lava rock.
At Hidden Valley Falls we will have some snacks, cold drinks and enjoy the scenery. Next we head back down to the river for a fun trip in our double-hulled powered canoe.
- Enjoy a downwind paddle on the Hule'ia River through the Hule'ia National Wildlife Refuge
- Hike lush jungle trails through a fern-covered valley
- See a gorgeous waterfall and swimming hole
- Ride back on a motorized canoe
- Cold bottled water is available throughout the day.
Hidden Valley Falls Kayak
Wailua River Kayaking
- Where and When:
- Check-in at 9:30 am at the Outfitters Kauai Kayak Shack, 2494 Niumalu Rd, Lihue, HI 96766
Tour returns between 1:00 to 1:30 pm.
Please call 48 hours prior to your tour to confirm your reservation and departure time.
- Must be able to kayak 60-90 minutes and walk 1.5 miles.
- Participants must be able to walk 1.5 miles on a good forest trail and paddle a tandem kayak together with a partner for 60-90 minutes.
No riders weighing over 260 lbs (118 kg).
- Special Notes:
- Operation Days:
- Tuesday & Saturday
- Approximately 4 hours
- Outfitters Kauai
- Outfitters Kauai uses tandem, open-cockpit, or sit-on-top style self-bailing kayaks with foot pedal controlled rudders to facilitate safety and ease of operation. You'll be given a lightweight fiberglass paddle with a tether, life vest and dry bag to keep your camera dry on your excursion.