Kohala Zipline - Kohala Canopy Tour
Get ready for a fun Big Island zipline trek through the island’s tropical jungle. Located near Hawi, the Kohala Zipline is located in an area known since ancient times as Halawa. The zipline course crosses a stream-rich land and features platforms built into huge trees.
Zipping from tree to tree, you’ll fly past native kukui trees and ancient taro terraces. The 9-line trek includes arching suspension bridges, and you’ll also get to see the Kohala Ditch, an irrigation canal completed in 1906.
- 9 zipline runs in total (ziplines get progressively longer)
- Zipline course includes suspension bridges
- Walk across suspension bridges connecting ziplines
- Tour ends with an exciting rappel from the final tree
Want to go ziplining but don't have a car? Roundtrip transportation is available for the 8:30 am and 1:00 pm tours. This option includes lunch!
Walk Over Aqueduct Bridge
- Where and When:
Transportation is available from Hawaii Forest & Trail Headquarters View Map and Waikoloa Queen's Marketplace with the addition of the Transportation and Lunch per Person price option for the 8:30 am and 1:00 pm tours. Transportation is only available Tuesdays and Thursdays. The exact pick-up time will be emailed to you.
If you plan to drive out yourself, below are the driving directions from Kona/Waikoloa/Mauna Lani to the Kohala Zipline Station in Hawi:
1) Head north on Queen Kaahumanu Hwy (Route 19).
2) Turn left on Akoni Pule Hwy (Route 270) heading towards Kawaihae/Hawi.
3) Arrive at Kohala Zipline station just past Hawi.
Approximate drive times:
Mauna Lani: 30 – 40 minutes
Kailua-Kona: 60 – 70 minutes
Kohala Zipline, 55-515 Hawi Road, Hawi, HI 96719 View Map
- Participants must be able to walk over uneven terrain and handle one short climb.
Participants must wear closed-toed walking shoes.
Lightweight pants or knee length shorts and a T-shirt are recommended because of harness.
Participants must weigh between 70 and 270 lbs and be at least 8 years old.
Minor children require a parent or guardian to sign their participation agreement, and children between the ages of 8 and 13 require an adult to zip with them.
This tour is not for those with back or neck problems and expectant mothers.
- Special Notes:
- Includes water, snack, all safety gear (helmets, gloves & harnesses).
- Operation Days:
- Operates daily
- 3 hours
- Kohala Zipline
- Big Island
- 8 guests