Polynesian Adventure Tours - Big Island Volcano Adventure
As of September, this tour is again visiting
parts of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Recent volcanic eruptions
changed the landscape of the park drastically. Currently the Visitor
Center, Steam Vents, and parts of Chain of Craters Road are the only
areas reopened. As locations are opened they may be added to the route
& stops not from the original tour may be removed.
- Stop at Rainbow Falls
- Stop at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Stop at Kilauea Visitors Center
- Stop at Steam Vents
- View Halema'uma'u Crater from the Volcano house
- Drive parts of the Chain of Craters
- Stop at Kilauea Iki Overlook
- Pu'u Pua'i, Luamanu, & Puhimau Crater
- Stop at Kealakomo Overlook
- Stop at Lava Rock Cafe (no host lunch)
- Stop at Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory or Big Island Candies
- See parts of Hilo Town like Richardson's Black Sand Beach, Liliuokalani Gardens, & the King Kamehameha Statue
This true adventure tour gives you a rich cultural experience and an exciting view of nature at work. A picturesque ride through gardens and waterfalls gives way to the austere vistas of dormant volcanoes, steam vents, lava beds, and craters. Meanwhile, you will hear stories of Pele, ancient Hawaiian goddess of the volcano, who settled in the crater of Halema`uma`u at the summit of Kilauea. This opens way to many other Hawaiian stories and volcanic artifacts that you will find at Jagger Museum and Kilauea Visitor Center at the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. While Mother Nature is unpredictable, you may be able to catch a glimpse of active lava flows from Kilauea which has been erupting since 1983. But, even if you don’t, the panoramic views will leave you awestruck in the presence of nature’s toils.
The Hawaii Volcano Special departs from Hilo. These Big Island Land Tours will show you the beautiful Rainbow Falls, Macadamia Nut Factory, the Hilo area, Orchid and Anthurium Nursery and of course the Volcanoes National Park. No host lunch stop.
Transportation: R/T available from major Hilo hotels
- Visit Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (park admission included)
- Drive through Hilo town and see scenic Banyan Drive
- See the gorgeous 80-foot Rainbow Falls
- Jaggar Museum – see informative displays and films of past volcanic eruptions and current activity
- Walk through Thurston Lava Tube
- Visit an orchid and anthurium nursery
- Lunch stop will be made, where you can purchase lunch
- Professional, knowledgeable guide provides descriptive narration throughout your tour
Inside Lava Tube
- Where and When:
- Pick-up only from Hilo hotels and Hilo Airport.
Pick-up at 8:00-8:30 am with return at approximately 6:00-6:45 pm.
- Covered walking shoes are required.
- Not suitable for participants with asthma or other respiratory diseases due to possible exposure to fumes.
- Special Notes:
- Use extra caution. You're visiting an area with an active volcano.
- Operation Days:
- Monday through Saturday
- 9.5 hours
- Polynesian Adventure Tours
- Big Island
- Comfortable air-conditioned tour bus