Polynesian Adventure Tours - Big Island Volcano Adventure
Recent volcanic eruptions in 2018 have
drastically changed the landscape of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, and
for the time being, the Visitor Center, steam vents and parts of Chain
of Craters Road are the only areas that have reopened.
- Stop at Rainbow Falls
- Stop at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Stop at Kilauea Visitors Center
- Stop at Steam Vents
- View Halema'uma'u Crater from the Volcano house
- Drive parts of the Chain of Craters
- Stop at Kilauea Iki Overlook
- Pu'u Pua'i, Luamanu, & Puhimau Crater
- Stop at Kealakomo Overlook
- Stop at Lava Rock Cafe (no host lunch)
- Stop at Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory or Big Island Candies
- See parts of Hilo Town like Richardson's Black Sand Beach, Liliuokalani Gardens, & the King Kamehameha Statue
This true adventure tour gives you a rich cultural experience and an exciting view of nature at work. A picturesque ride through gardens and waterfalls gives way to the austere vistas of dormant volcanoes, steam vents, lava beds, and craters. Meanwhile, you will hear stories of Pele, ancient Hawaiian goddess of the volcano, who settled in the crater of Halema`uma`u at the summit of Kilauea. This opens way to many other Hawaiian stories and volcanic artifacts that you will find at Jagger Museum and Kilauea Visitor Center at the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. While Mother Nature is unpredictable, you may be able to catch a glimpse of active lava flows from Kilauea which has been erupting since 1983. But, even if you don’t, the panoramic views will leave you awestruck in the presence of nature’s toils.
The Hawaii Volcano Special departs from Hilo. These Big Island Land Tours will show you the beautiful Rainbow Falls, Macadamia Nut Factory, the Hilo area, Orchid and Anthurium Nursery and of course the Volcanoes National Park. No host lunch stop.
Transportation: R/T available from major Hilo hotelsTour Highlights:
- Visit Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (park admission included)
- Volcano House for breakfast buffet (not included in tour price)
- Halema’uma’u Crater – viewed from Volcano House; remarkably changed since June 2018
- Kilauea Visitors Center – educational exhibits and park information
- Steam Vents – ground water seeps down to hot volcanic rocks forming steam clouds
- Kilauea Iki Overlook – smaller pit crater next to main Kilauea caldera
- Chain of Craters Road – scenic drive; sections covered by lava in 2018 Kilauea eruption
- Devastation Trail – walk down a paved path to see the evidence of the 1959 Kilauea eruption
- Kealakomo Overlook – panoramic coastal and lava field views
- Mauna Loa Macadamia Visitor Center
- Akaka Falls
- Rainbow Falls
- Drive through Hilo town
- Drive by King Kamehameha Statue & Shinmachi Tsunami Memorial
- Drive along scenic Banyan Drive
- Liliuokalani Gardens
- Richardson’s Black Sand Beach
- Where and When:
- Pick-up only from Hilo hotels and Hilo Airport.
Pick-up is at approximately 8:15 am with return at approximately 7:00 pm.
- Covered walking shoes are required.
- Not suitable for participants with asthma or other respiratory diseases due to possible exposure to fumes.
- Special Notes:
- Use extra caution. You're visiting an area with an active volcano.
- Operation Days:
- Monday through Friday
- Approximately 11 hours
- Polynesian Adventure Tours
- Big Island
- Comfortable air-conditioned tour bus